Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America - Robert Charles Wilson I'll classify this one as Steampunk only because of the feel, and not because of the date. Good story, well crafted with great flow. I especially liked how the narrator, beautiful unreliable narrator, was so focused upon snakes throughout the tale.

Reasoning: ancient peoples always regarded the snake as a wise, immortal creature because it not only renewed itself by losing its skin, but also because it knew how to listen. Comstock himself was a philosopher and wanted nothing more than to think about wisdom and science in a bible-thumping, bass-ackwards world, and have a little fun with the boys while he was at it. When the narrator decided that he'd drop his friend's love of philosophy, he fell back on the old practice of bashing the snake's head in. A beautiful setup in the story.
Of course, none of that had any real plot-value to spoil, so I hope you forgive me my enjoyment on this one. :)

The rise and fall of Julian the Apostate, written fresh for the new, post-modern fall of a world. (Well, at least fallen to the state of a steampunk society, anyway.) I always did like Julian Caesar best out of all of the Caesars.