The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss I am amazed with myself that I hadn't read this book sooner. I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time, so that means that I have semi-permanent ridge marks on my ass. I loved the book. Seriously loved it.

The book is 900 pages long, yet it feels like a ripping-good yarn of a fraction of its size.

So much has been happening to our hero, and you get a sense that his fame is both a huge source of joy and conflict, self-inflicted and quite out of his control. Even from the first book, I had the feeling that we were in a setup drawn out of D&D 2.0 Edition, drawing up a multi-classed wizard, but that's where the analogy ends; for while its setup is pure, the writing, the detail, the sheer immensity of the world-building, the pacing, and the depth of the back-story soon outstrips practically all previous fantasy novels that I've read. That's saying a lot, I know. Still, you can't quite compare this experience to LoTR or WoT or Brent Weeks. The pacing and the absolute focus on one character's growth from childhood with the hints of the fallen-but-great man that he has become just doesn't fit into those molds at all.

The love story is truly tragic in the sense that neither lover can quite get their acts together; but despite it all, they're really quite charming and refreshing. I can't say much of anything about them without giving away everything, even though it would still take several pages to go through their love with the hope of being fair.

What I truly love is the fact that Mr. Rothfuss is obviously well-rounded and well-read, but he has studiously made a point of not wowing the reader with his knowledge. Instead, he's focused all of his skills on honing such a sharp edge of a story that cannot let me go.

A few things that I've found to be greatly amusing, (and I'm not being facetious here,):

The description of anger. You'll know what I mean when you get it. It's part of a corollary with the matriarchal monks and the absolutely delightful description of reproduction.

The mysterious legend of the Templar Knights, (not named as such in the books,) that mimics the insanity of our world's research mania.

The deliberate set-up and allusion to Orpheus, and although our main character hasn't reached the point of the Greek legend, I'm truly biting at the bit to see it.

I cannot wait until the next book comes out. I'll recommend this book to everyone who likes Heroic Fantasy done extremely well.